Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
MBSR is an approach to self-care that can assist in managing stress, pain and illness. The practice of meditation is used to help people learn to focus awareness on body sensations, thoughts, and emotions in a nonjudgmental way. Through this practice, a person is given the opportunity to explore their inner world of mind/body, recognize and mobilize their inner psychological resources and take better care of the self.
Continue reading below for more MBSR information!
MBSR history, course information, and local and national MBSR links
The course is modelled on the program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Centre.
The course consists of eight weekly classes and one day-long class (usually on a Saturday). It is designed to introduce Mindfulness practice as a way of reducing stress and developing greater balance, control, and fuller participation in your life. Mindfulness is a way of learning to relate directly to whatever is happening in your life, including the challenges of stress, pain, illness and everyday demands.
In the course, you will practice skills to improve your ability to let go of the past, worry less about your future, and live more fully in the present. The course includes guided mindfulness meditations and mindful stretching/movement. All instruction is modified for each individual’s needs. You are provided with daily assignments contained in two guided meditation CDs and weekly handouts. Courses are taught by trained instructors from a variety of professional backgrounds.
Courses in Winnipeg
The planned MBSR 5 Day Intensive Retreat/9 Day Teacher Practicum that was scheduled for September 2014 has been postponed until the Spring of 2015. Check back with us in early 2015 for details.
To access upcoming CMHA courses please register below. If there is not a course currently available add your name to the wait list to be notified when one is posted or email email@example.com and request notification of MBSR courses and events.
Cost (8 week course): $400.00 is the base rate with a sliding scale based on income. Click here to access the MBSR brochure with sliding scale rates.
Upcoming courses available for registration through CMHA Winnipeg:
Upcoming courses available through other organizations:
Seven Oaks Wellness Institute – January 12, 2015
Note: See Page 11 in the Positively Healthy Magazine for registration details.
CMHA Winnipeg also works with many private and public facilities to offer MBSR publicly or privately. Click here to access a fee schedule for closed MBSR courses. For more information on offering a course please contact Tammy Dueck, the CMHA Winnipeg Volunteer and Education Coordinator.
If you are interested in hosting a MBSR course in the workplace, the CMHA Winnipeg Region has produced a commonly asked questions sheet to answer basic questions.
Courses in Winnipeg are also offered by:
- Klinic Community Health Centre. For more information, contact Terry Wilson at 784-4068 or Chris Willette at 784-4042. Information is also available on the Klinic website at: www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm
- Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (including St. Boniface Hospital) for persons who are board members or employed within any of the communities of service. For further information contact Dawn MacDonald, Coordinator, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction St. Boniface Hospital Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba firstname.lastname@example.org or (204) 235-3700.
- University of Winnipeg Continuing Education for more information http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/dcecommunity_programs
- CancerCare Manitoba. Course offered free of charge to patients and family members involved with Cancercare. To get more information contact Tom Roche at 204-787-4122 or email@example.com
Supports for MBSR Graduates
Graduates of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) are invited to join group meditations held at 2 dates and locations monthly by the MBSR partners::
- Nurse’s Parlor at St. Boniface Hospital – sponsored by the Catholic Health Corporation. Second Wednesday of every month from 6:00-7:30. Details can be found by accessing the poster here.
- Klinic Community Health Centre at 870 Portage Avenue on the fourth Wednesday of the month from 6:00-7:30PM. Click here to access the poster for more information.
To receive reminders for these sessions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Becoming an MBSR Teacher
CMHA Winnipeg Region is often contacted by persons interested in becoming an MBSR instructor. The road to becoming an instructor is a lengthy process that takes a great deal of development. CMHA Winnipeg Region works with MBSR Ottawa utilizing the process outlined here. Should you believe you have met the requirements outlined for initial teacher development and require information on upcoming practicums contact Tammy Dueck, the CMHA Winnipeg Volunteer and Education Coordinator. For further information on training through the Centre for Mindfulness click here.
MBSR Links of Interest:
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Ottawa
- Centre for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare, and Society
To download the audio files used for the 8 week MBSR course, click the links below:
Silent Retreat Centres in Canada:
- Creston, British Columbia: http://www.kootenaymindfulnesscentre.org
- Regina, Saskatchewan: http://www.reginainsight.ca/?s=retreats
- Bowden, Alberta: http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schkaruna#normal
- Arnprior, Ontario: https://www.truenorthinsight.org/index.php/en/schedule/residential-retreats
- Egbert, Ontario: http://www.torana.dhamma.org/